The Southern Lakes Association of the Deaf, formerly known as Home Club of the Deaf and the Delavan Association of the Deaf. Home Club of the Deaf was founded in 1905. Miss Julia Carney (Mrs. Bickel of Kenosha) conceived the idea of such a club. The meetings were held at the homes of its members, hence its name. Meetings were held every 3rd Saturday from October to April. May was saved for a picnic. There were no meetings in the summer. When the membership grew, a hall was rented.
Up to 1909, it was customary for only women to hold office but after that men were elected as well. In 1911, a constitution and by laws were established by Thomas Hagery, Mary Fossan and F.J. Neesam. A club motto was established, “One for all, all for one.”
A new name was then established in 1962, the Delavan Association of the Deaf. They held their meetings at various places, such as the churches, police station, IOOF, and the school library.
In 1981, it was decided that we merge the two names into one name, the Southern Lakes Association of the Deaf. We now hold meetings at our clubhouse.